Is using this website legal?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gouldfish
Is using this website legal?

I love this website, but i am a little worried about getting in trouble as I hear rooms are illegal. This website technically allows me to play the games on my browser without download so I would assume it's ok? Can anyone, or admin shed any light on this?

admin
Copyright laws depend on your

Copyright laws depend on your country so it is hard to say.

But you should not worry about it, honestly, for three reasons :

1. Even if technically, downloading ROMs if often illegal (in most countries), things are changing.

This is not piracy, this is software preservation. And Game Oldies is quite a museum !

Even HUGE websites endorsed by US government like http://archive.org now have some ROMs archives to download and similar online emulator

2. Not a single game offered on Game Oldies is being sold commercially (except maybe on Wii / 3DS / Wii U Virtual Console), so it's not harming any company or individual

That is also why ROMs website are "tolerated".

3. We do not track or store your IP address or anything, so if by any chance we would get in trouble (and I seriously doubt this day would come), I as admin would have "troubles", but there's no way to recover your personal data.

So to summarize : enjoy the website, enjoy the games, and relax. If you like the games you can play here, support the video game developers and industry by buying some new consoles and game

They need you in order to make tomorrow's great games.

Gouldfish
Thank you very much for

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

As a very enthusiastic 29 year old retro game lover, this is music to my ears. You are right, this is quite the museum. Getting a game of MegaMan after so many years has been quite nostalgic.

But it is a great website and I will continue to visit, and thanks for putting my mind at ease. I will of course be supporting modern games also. You will be sure to find me downloading the new Dark Souls 2 dlc off psn next month :)

admin
31 here, and yeah I built

31 here, and yeah I built this for ease of play in mind.