What is the key for the anti-cavitation (silent) drive at "The Hunt for Red October"?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Marko Ramius
What is the key for the anti-cavitation (silent) drive at "The Hunt for Red October"?

Dear Admins,

i was delighted to discover "The Hunt for Red October" on your website yesterday because it was my favourite GameBoy game

and remembered the nice time which i spent with it during my adoslescence.

The game works fine except one function; the anti-cavitation (silent) drive which makes the submarine invisible, especially for asurface vessels.

Without this tool it is very hard, if not impossible to go far in this game (I arrived at level 2 with huge strain).

Which key or key combination do i have to press to make the silent drive work ? When i press V or B, nothing happens.

Thank you once again for giving me such a lovely reminiscence of my youth and for helping me out in this matter.

Many greets from Frankfurt (Germany)

Matthias

P.S.: I use Mozilla Firefox as browser (I do not know if that counts.)

mopjockey
mopjockey's picture
Hello and welcome

Hello and welcome to the site :)

Have you tried the "S" and "D" keys? The controls shown on the right of the game forgets to mention these keys for some reason so there are alot of people who do not know. Hope this helped you.

Happy Gaming :)

Marko Ramius
Hallo Mopjockey,

Hallo Mopjockey,

thank you a lot for you nice words and your advise.

However, pressing D and/or S does not activate the silent drive. :-(

I have struggled and slinked myself until level 4, but there it would be

of great help indeed...

So if anybode can help me out - your post is welcome. :-)

Bye

Matthias

thegiant55
lol

happy gaming? rinrygamegame much?

Marko Ramius
At the origonal Gemboy, the

At the origonal Gemboy, the silent drive was activated by pressing the "Select" key.

How has this button generally been transposed in Emulations?

Many greets

Matthias

mopjockey
mopjockey's picture
I have your Answer!

Ok so after playing the games myself I've found that for the NES version the space bar is still the silent drive button BUT instead of turning invisable like the GameBoy version the sub will have this yellow static bubble around you to indicate that it is on. If the space bar is not working as described then you may need to change browsers or see an admin. The SNES version is a little different as you will need to HOLD the "D" key to use silent drive meaning that if you let go of the "D" key you will stop using silent drive. The silent drive on the SNES verion also doesn't make your sub invisable or have any visual indication that the silent drive is activated but you will notice heat seekers go around you or stop seeking you. Sorry for the late reply you've probably already figured all this yourself but if not hope it helped.

Happy Gaming :)

Marko Ramius
Hello Mopjockey,

Hello Mopjockey,

thank you a lot for trying even the game equivalent at Nintendo to find the solution - that's very nice! :-)

I have tried your advice and it works as wlel as on the original Gameboy! :-)

Here and there the silent drive prevents heatseeking rockets to get on your trace, but when you bump into them,

the system doesn't help.

For all the past, present and future Hunt for Red October gamers:

It is SPACE that you activate the silent drive with.

Many greets and thanks once more

Matthias